We live in Harwich, MA year round, and one of us grew up on the Cape, so yes, we are locals. Often during breakfast, we are asked what our favorite restaurant is, where the locals eat or where a chef eats. The list below is our attempt to begin to answer these questions. Remember, Cape Cod has many restaurants, the lists below only includes some. When you are our guests, we are happy to provide more details on each restaurant or offer additional options based on what you are looking for.
Locals Guide to Dining
We’ve eaten at most of them, or at least heard about them from our guests
Water view restaurants, some fancy, others casual
These are great restaurant recommendations if you want water views and you are looking for fancy or casual dining.Read More...
- Wequassett Resort and Golf Club – 2173 Route 28, Harwich, 02645, (508) 432-5400. An upscale resort offering two waterfront restaurants on Pleasant Bay, both open to the public.
- Twenty Eight Atlantic, this four-star, four-diamond restaurant provides an elegant menu and dining experience overlooking beautiful Pleasant Bay. The setting is upscale, and there is a dress code, which gives you an idea of how special it is. Well-behaved children friendly.
- Outer Bar & Grille, this seasonal open-air Grille offers a casual menu overlooking Pleasant Bay. The water view here is amazing, and it’s fun to experience the luxury of this resort without the expense of staying here. The setting is very casual, the food is good, yes expensive, yet worth it because of the beautiful setting. Family friendly.
- Ocean House Restaurant – 425 Old Wharf Road, Dennisport, Ma 02639, (508) 394-0700. This higher end restaurant’s dining room is beautiful and has an ocean front view being directly on Nantucket Sound. We really appreciate the menu selection and the quality of the food. They offer valet parking. Mature Atmosphere. Reservations recommended.
- Brax Landing – 705 Route 28, Harwich Port, MA 02646, (508) 432-5515. This busy restaurant with a casual Cape Cod atmosphere offers reasonable prices with a simple menu and a dining room and deck (yes, they offer outdoor seating) on Saquatucket Harbor. We enjoy this restaurant for the consistent food, good view and casual, comfortable, seaside atmosphere. A family restaurant. No reservations and it can get very busy, so be prepared to wait. ***OFFERS OUTDOOR SEATING WITH A VIEW***
- The Marshside Restaurant – 28 Bridge Street, East Dennis, MA 02641,
(508) 385-4010. A casual restaurant with glass-walled dining room with booths and tables overlooking Sesuit Creek serving lunch and dinner at a reasonable price. Sesuit Creek is on Cape Cod Bay, so the levels of the water in the creek are ever changing with the high and low tide in the Bay. A family restaurant. No reservations, be ready to possibly wait.
- Sesuit Harbor Café – 357 Sesuit Neck Rd, Dennis, MA 02638, (508) 385-6134. Very casual & busy with simple & fresh fried food, lobster roll and sushi. Order at the counter, and eat at outdoor picnic tables on the sand overlooking Sesuit Harbor & Cape Cod Bay. A family restaurant. No reservations, be prepared for a long line. CASH ONLY. Seasonal, check website for hours ***ONLY OUTDOOR SEATING***
Sophisticated restaurants in an adult atmosphere
If you are looking for sophisticated restaurants in an adult atmosphere, check out these perfect recommendations.Read More...
- Cape Sea Grille – 31 Sea Street, Harwich Port, 02645, (508) 432-4745. A local husband (chef) & wife (manager) team own this upscale yet relaxed restaurant with creative American cuisine focusing on local seafood and produce. We love the menu and food here and recommend it to all our guests as a great dining experience. Well-behaved children who enjoy good food can enjoy this restaurant. RESERVATIONS
- Fin – 800 Main St, Rt 6A Dennis 02638, (508) 385-2096. This chef-owned fine dining restaurant is set in an antique building with a one small dining room on the first floor and a second upstairs. Contemporary menu features seafood using ingredients from local Cape Cod farms & Mature atmosphere. RESERVATIONS
- Brewster Fish House – 2208 Main Street, Route 6A, Brewster 02631,
(508) 896-7876. Self-described as “A non-conforming restaurant” and “fiercely local” this acclaimed and very busy small restaurant offers lunch & a very creative, eclectic & beautiful dinner menu. Mature atmosphere. NO RESERVATONS
- Viera – 11 Route 28, Harwich, MA, (774) 408-7492. A chef-owned restaurant offering a seasonal sophisticated menu using fresh & local ingredients in a cozy dining room with booths and tables. Mature atmosphere. RESERVATIONS
- L’Alouette – 787 Route 28, Harwich Port, (508) 430-0405. A chef-owned French restaurant on Cape Cod with two quiet dining rooms, one with a fireplace. Mature atmosphere. RESERVATIONS
- Gerardi’s Café – 902 Route 28, South Yarmouth, (508) 394-3111. A family-owned restaurant with handmade traditional Italian & Sicilian cuisine in a comfortable dining room with booths and tables. Well-behaved children can enjoy this restaurant. RESERVATIONS
Restaurants with creative menus & lively atmosphere
For restaurants with creative menus and lively atmosphere, check out our favorites here.Read More...
- Bistro on Main & Chatham Raw Bar – 593 Main Street Chatham, (508) 945-5033. Offering a diverse menu of creative, fun & fresh foods with two dining rooms, plus outdoor patio, two full bars with TVs, one with a full working raw bar displaying a host of local Cape Cod shellfish. Serving lunch (seasonally) & dinner. Family friendly. RESERVATIONS ***OFFERS PATIO SEATING***
- Del Mar Bistro – 907 Main Street, Chatham, (508) 945-9988. A lively modern restaurant, at times noisy, with an open kitchen, full bar and enclosed outdoor seating offering a varied & unique menu including pizzas. Full bar with a few TVs where you can eat or simply enjoy drinks. More of a mature atmosphere. RESERVATIONS
- The Impudent Oyster – 15 Chatham Bars Avenue, Chatham, (508) 945-3545. A well-known & loved Lunch & Dinner location in downtown Chatham with an upscale menu. Mature atmosphere. RESERVATIONS
- BlueFins Sushi & Sake Bar – 513 Main Street, Chatham, (508) 348-1573. A great sushi bar along with a large dining room, full kitchen and bar in downtown Chatham. Mature atmosphere. RESERVATIONS. Take out available.
- The Barley Neck Inn – 5 Beach Road, Orleans, (508) 255-0212. A popular family restaurant in an old sea captain’s home offering a fun dinner menu, located on the road to the popular Nauset Beach. Family friendly. RESERVATIONS
- Rock Harbor Grill – 18 Old Colony Way, Orleans, (508) 255-3350. A good-sized, fun & eclectic menu with a good selection of “snacks & shares” and a full bar. Family friendly. RESERVATIONS
Restaurants with approachable menus
These restaurants have very approachable menus.Read More...
- Lanyard Bar & Grill – 429 Main St/Rout 28, Harwich Port, (508) 430-0404. Under new ownership & a new name (formerly Land Ho! Harwich) in 2018 this restaurant offers a locals atmosphere with good food including house-smoked Open for lunch, differ & drinks with a full bar & TVs.
- Land Ho! Orleans – 38 Main Street, Rt 6A and Cove Road, Orleans, (508) 255-5165. In the heart of Orleans, this is a small spot where they pack ‘em in with a lively locals atmosphere while offering basic well-prepared menus of seafood & sandwiches. Open for lunch and dinner, with a full bar & TV.
- Hot Stove Saloon – 551 Route 28, Harwich Port, (508) 432-9911. Saloon food in a relaxed pub atmosphere serving lunch and dinner with a full bar and TV. CASH ONLY
- 400 East Restaurant – 1421 Orleans Rd (Rt 39), East Harwich, (508) 432-1800. This restaurant offers a straight-forward diverse menu and a full bar with TVs.
- Red Nun – 673 Main Street, Dennis Port, (508) 394-2869. A basic menu and full bar with televisions in a lively atmosphere, known for their burgers. Entertainment on the weekends.